Ohio's TechCred Program gives employers the chance to upskill current and future employees in today’s tech-infused economy. Employers who submit successful applications will be reimbursed up to $2,000 per credential when current or prospective employees complete eligible technology-focused credentials.
Application and Reimbursement Process
- Employers apply for funding during application period
- Development Services Agency scores applications and awards funding
- Employer sponsors current or prospective employees to complete an eligible credential program
- Current or prospective employee successfully completes the program and receives approved credential
- Employer submits proof of completion and receives reimbursement
Any Ohio registered employer that employs Ohio resident W-2 employees is eligible to apply. Employers of all sizes and in all industries are encouraged to apply. Only one application will be accepted per company per application period. Agencies of the State of Ohio are not eligible to receive reimbursement.
Employer Size Classification
For the purpose of application and fund distribution, the following employer size classifications will be used:
- 1-50 Employees: Small
- 51-200 Employees: Medium
- 201+ Employees: Large
Ohio employers may apply for reimbursement for credentialing of both current and/or prospective employees. Individuals listed in an employer’s application must be Ohio residents with a verifiable Ohio address. Individuals submitted on an application must be a current or prospective W2 employee; independent contractors or 1099 employees are not eligible for this program unless they are being converted to a W2 employee following receipt of the credential.
Application Scoring Criteria
Employer applications will be reviewed competitively, based on the following criteria:
- Pledged wage increase in relation to credential cost
- Level of economic distress in employees’ region and regional balance of awards
- Amount of employer contribution towards the cost of credential
Applications will be reviewed competitively; awards will not be made on a first-come, first-served basis.
When the application period opens, companies can apply for eligibility at TechCred.Ohio.Gov.
Information Required for Application
Applicants will be required to submit the following information:
- Federal Tax ID
- Company Name
- Supplier ID Number
- Ohio Charter Number
- Employer’s Industry
- Number of Full-Time Employees in Ohio
- Employer Website Link
- Employer Point of Contact and Contact Information
- Name (first and last)
- Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- County of Residence
- Wage Prior to Credential
- Expected Wage After Credential is Earned
- Race (optional)
- Gender (optional)
- Credential Selected (from approved list)
- Training Cost (if applicable)
- Certification Test Cost (if applicable)
- Total Actual Cost of Credential (Training and/or Certification Costs Combined)
- Name of Training Provider
- Type of Training Provider
- Requested Reimbursement Amount from Credential
Reimbursements will be up to $2,000 per credential, with one reimbursement available per employee in each funding round. Employers are eligible to receive up to $30,000 per funding round.
Credentials must meet the following requirements:
The term ‘‘industry-recognized,’’ used with respect to a credential, means a credential that is sought or accepted by employers within the industry or sector involved as a recognized, preferred, or required credential for recruitment, screening, hiring, retention or advancement purposes; and, where appropriate, is endorsed by a nationally recognized trade association or organization representing a significant part of the industry or sector.
Technology credentials demonstrate the competencies necessary to succeed in an occupation that utilizes technology to develop, build, and deliver products and services. Technology credentials rely on science, technology, engineering and/or math related education, as well as technical skills, to benefit an employer dependent on the development, deployment and investment in new and emerging technology, including software development, advanced manufacturing, data analytics, cybersecurity, computer hardware and design, military applications and other emerging fields.
Can be completed in 12 months or less and is less than 30 credit hours or 900 clock hours.
Adding Credentials to the Approved List
TechCred is designed to be responsive to the dynamic workforce needs of employers. Employers can request that additional credentials meeting the eligibility requirements identified above be added to the list of eligible credentials. When filling out the TechCred application, employers will choose “Credential Not Listed” and be prompted to provide:
- Name of Credential
- Identification of the Credential as a Certificate or Certification
- For Certificates: Number of Credit Hours or Clock Hours
- For Certifications: Certification Issuing Body
- Evidence the Competencies/Skills Taught or Measured in the Credential are Technology-Focused
- Evidence the Credential has Value Beyond the Submitting Employers and is not Exclusive to One Organization
- Link to Credential Website or Uploaded Syllabus/Brochure
Costs incurred by the Applicant prior to an award of eligibility and a written Agreement is done at the Applicant’s risk. All credentials must be completed by the Grant Expiration Date provided on the Agreement to be eligible for reimbursement.
The TechCred program encourages employers to choose the training provider that will most effectively meet their needs. Eligible training providers include: universities, community colleges, technical centers, and private training providers.
Employers may be reimbursed for tuition, lab fees, manuals, textbooks and certification costs, up to $2,000 per credential, with one reimbursement available per employee in each funding round.
Employers must submit documentation within six (6) weeks of an employee completing the credential to receive reimbursement. Credentials must be completed within 18 months from the date of award eligibility.
To request reimbursement, employers that have been awarded eligibility must submit the following information at TechCred.Ohio.Gov:
- Proof of credential completion
- Invoices for costs incurred
- Proof of payment
- Documentation of employee’s wage after completing the credential